When it comes to planning activities for you and the family, costs can add up quickly. Luckily, our beautiful city is full of fun things to do that won't break the bank. You might as well try a few of them out - you've got nothing to lose but the potential for making new memories with your loved ones!
It's hard to put a price on Nature, and the outside experience more broadly. In this case, that works in your favor. That's because activities located out in Nature are generally free, or extremely inexpensive. That's why I've gathered the following list of highly enjoyable outside activities in Wilmington, NC. All the activities are free unless otherwise noted.
1. Fishing: With water nearly surrounding Wilmington, there's certainly no shortage of great fishing spots. Surf, Pier, and Deep Sea fishing - we've got it all. You'll need a fishing license though, which you can find here.
2. Fort Fisher: If you've never taken a trip to Fort Fisher, you're seriously missing out. Not only is the scenery absolutely stunning, the historical significance of the Fort is nearly unparalleled.
3. Beer & Wine Samples: If you do a Google search for "beer and wine tastings wilmington nc", you'll always find a long list of events to keep you busy for the weekend. As always, drink responsibly.
4. UNCW: Like the public library below, UNCW offers many free art exhibits, concerts & lectures. Here's their activity calendar.
5. Libraries: If you're a local with younger kids, Wilmington's Public Libraries have a lot to offer. You'll find them offering everything from movie nights to Escape Room challenges. Here's their calendar of activities.
6. Poplar Grove Plantation: This is an awesome way to see a slice of Wilmington history. The plantation was a popular peanut farm during Antebellum times and they've worked hard to keep that authentic feel to this day. Tours are 12$, but you can explore the site & have a picnic for free.
7. Oakdale Cemetary: I know, visiting a cemetery probably isn't on your list of things to do for fun. But Oakdale is a charming Victorian-style cemetery with tons of history behind it. Trust us, it's often the off-the-wall activities that lead to memories that last a lifetime.
8. Biking: Did you know that Wilmington has hundreds of miles of bike trails? It's true, and you can check out this page for more information about the routes.
9. Local Parks: You've got a lot to choose from here. From Tennis at Hugh MacRae Park to Kayaking around Greenfield Lake Park ($10 an hour), you really can't go wrong. You'll find these parks' locations on the map below.
10. The Beach: If there's one thing Wilmington is known for, it's our beautiful beaches - and that's for a very good reason. All the beaches offer a distinctly different experience. So, make a quest out of it and visit Wrightsville, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, and Figure 8 Island to see which one suits your lifestyle best.
11. Summer Concert Series: Check out all the best cover Bands from all over the East Coast. Every Friday from 6 - 10 P.M. from May 26th - Sept 1st. Located Downtown on Water Street in front of the Courthouse.
As you've seen, Wilmington offers a plethora of activities that are not only free - they're downright exciting! We're sure you'll want to check them all out ASAP. Don't forget to let them know we sent you!
Don't have a place to stay when you're visiting? That's no problem. Check out our short-term Wilmington rentals here!