The holidays are over, the gifts are unwrapped, and everyone is busy making resolutions and setting goals for the New Year. For many of us, the next few weeks are a great time to get our lives and homes in order, which can help ensure a successful and fun 2016. After all, studies have shown that an organized home can reduce stress and depression, improve your health and relationships, boost your productivity, and help you sleep better. To help you take advantage of these benefits, we’ve put together some simple idea for each room of the house. Follow these organization tips, and before you know it you’ll be having your best year yet!
- Purge your pantry and get rid of anything past its prime.
- Divide food into zones—canned goods, dried grains, packaged snacks, etc.
- Remove everything from your refrigerator and wipe it down with vinegar and water.
- Hang dishtowels on hooks inside your cabinets so they can dry out of sight.
The Living Room
- Corral remotes in a small basket under the coffee table.
- Keep a wastebasket in the corner to cut down on clutter.
- Keep flat surfaces clutter-free by getting a coffee table with built in storage.
- Take advantage of the space behind your sofa—it’s a great place for a trunk or low bookshelf that can perform double duty.
- Don’t let your dresser become a landing strip. Drop odds and ends into an attractive bowl and sort through it once a week.
- Make your bed as soon as you wake up. This simple act can set the tone for your whole day!
- Coordinate your sheets, comforter, and pillowcases.
- Attack your closet and get rid of anything you haven’t worn in over a year.
- Invest in a bookshelf for your children’s budding library.
- Put stuffed animals and plush tons in large, colorful bins, and don’t forget to label them!
- Turn cleaning into a game and involve your child. Staying organized is much easier when the whole family is on board!
- Rotate toys, keeping some in storage. By switching them out every few weeks, you’ll save on space and your children won’t get bored.
- Go through your medicine cabinet and toss everything that’s expired.
- Put a shelf or two over your toilet for extra space.
- Keep your make up in a cute cosmetics bag and hang it from a hook to save space.
- Replace your plunger, toilet brush, and shower curtain. Start the year fresh!
- Hang bikes, skateboards, and yard tools to create more floor space.
- Use a pegboard to keep track of smaller tools.
- Group like items, such as automotive tools, together, so they are easy to find.
- Use a metal shelf and magnetic containers to store small nuts and bolts.