The Wilmington region is home to a wide range of residents — all the way from college students to retired beach-lovers to long-time locals. However, families are one of the most rapidly growing populations in the area.
As communities within Pender, Brunswick, and New Hanover Counties continue to experience extraordinary growth, more and more time and resources are being devoted to schools, community events, businesses, and more!
But, how do you go about finding the flourishing neighborhoods that will set your family up for success?
How to Choose the Most Family-Friendly Neighborhoods in Wilmington NC
Your family’s home is more than just a house. It includes everything in your community, from your immediate neighborhood to the surrounding land, businesses, and even local traditions and events. Picking the right community is essential!
That’s why we’ve put together a list of the 9 essential steps to picking the Wilmington, NC neighborhood that’s right for your family:
- Scope out the local educational resources. If you have kids, odds are that schooling opportunities are one of the first things you will check. The New Hanover County School District ranks 16th in the state, and many schools in New Hanover, Pender, and Brunswick Counties have received high ratings in various categories — like academics, teachers, diversity, college prep, and clubs and activities.
- Check local event calendars. In the Wilmington area, you’ll find no shortage of community events and activities — from annual festivals and fairs to weekly markets and unique holiday celebrations. Between Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, and Kure Beach, there will always be something for your family to do.
- Look for nearby nature. Kids flourish when they have the space to explore and grow. Even if your new home doesn’t have a very big lawn, proximity to Carolina, Kure, and Wrightsville beaches and a wide variety of family-friendly parks can help fill the hunger for play and adventure.
- Spend some time with Google or Apple Maps. What do you see around the neighborhood? Are there clear, safe walking routes to nearby parks? How close are the nearest school, grocery store, and hospital? Even if you can’t tour the area in-person, simply spending a few minutes looking at the roads, buildings, and area around your potential new home will help you get a better idea of what it will be like to live there.
- Take an in-person tour. If at all possible, you should try to see your new home and neighborhood in person. There’s no better way to get a true sense of the kind of environment your family will live in.
- Chat with the neighbors. One of the aspects that really MAKES a neighborhood are the actual neighbors. If you’re able to tour in-person, take a walk around your neighborhood and try to strike up conversations with several of your potential neighbors. Ask them about the area and what they like about living there.
- Pay special attention to local advertising. You can tell a lot about a town based on the type of marketing you see on local television, online, and as you drive around the community. If you see a good number of kid-focused ads, odds are, the community is full of families just like yours.
- Check out local reviews. Reading online reviews is one of the best things you can do to make sure your neighborhood will be a good fit for your family. Even the tourist reviews that pop up for Carolina and Wrightsville Beach can give you insight that will help you make your choice.
- Consult with a local REALTOR. Even if you walk through every one of these steps, you’ll likely still be missing some crucial information you’d like to consider as you're making a decision on your new home. This is where an experienced local REALTOR will help!
The Local Expertise of Network Real Estate Agents
Nobody knows the Wilmington area better than the team here at Network Real Estate. After all, we’ve been here since 1982 — way before Wilmington boomed into the bustling town it is today.
Need some help narrowing your family home search?
Our agents are eager and available to answer your questions and guide you through the home search process. Give us a call today at 910-395-4100.
- Top 5 Best Neighborhoods in Carolina Beach
- Wilmington, NC Area Holiday Events
- Top 10 Perks of Living at Carolina Beach
- Wrightsville Beach vs. Carolina Beach: Where to Live?